Open Access Subscription AccessTotal views : 212
Dynamics of Calorie Intake in Rural Bihar
Based on the sample survey data of nearly 466 households collected from five villages of Katihar district located in North Eastern Bihar, the paper tries to identify some of the important factors responsible for change in calorie consumption of the population living at the margin. In a way, it also tries to establish the relationship between direct access to foodgrains from a variety of sources such as access to ownership of land, wages in kind, access to leased-in land, ownership of livestock, etc., with calorie intake of the rural population in the survey region. In doing so, it also, in a very brief manner, focuses on comparative role of other factors such as money and income in this regard. Further, there is also an attempt to highlight the variations in average calorie intake as well as chronic poverty across different occupational categories in the survey region and identify a set of factors responsible for such variations.
- Da Corta & Venkateshwarlu, (1997), “Unfree Relations and the Feminisation of Agricultural Labour in Andhra Pradesh,” in Byres, T.J., Karin Kapadia and Jens Lerche (1998): “Rural Labour Relations in India”, India Research Press, New Delhi.
- Jha, Praveen (1997), “Agricultural Labourer in India,” Vikas Publishing House, Delhi.
- Jha and Thakur (2016), “30 Years On: Work and Well Being in Rural Bihar,” in Himanshu, Praveen Jha and Gerry Rodgers (Ed.) in ‘The Changing Village in India: Insight from Longitudinal Research,’ Oxford University Press, New Delhi.
- Lerche, (1997), “Politics of the Poor: Agricultural Labourers and Political Transformations in Uttar Pradesh,” in Byres, T.J., Karin Kapadia and Jens Lerche (1998), ‘Rural Labour Relations in India’, India Research Press, New Delhi.
- National Sample Survey Reports (Various Issues).
- Ramchandran, V.K &Vikas Rawal (2010), “The Impact of Liberalisation and Globalisation on India’s Agrarian Economy,” in Global Labour Journal, January.
- Srivastava, Ravi (1998), “Rural Labour in Uttar Pradesh: Emerging Features of Subsistence, Contradiction and Resistance” in Byres, T.J., Karin Kapadia and Jens Lerche (1998), ‘Rural Labour Relations in India,’ India Research Press, New Delhi.
- Sundarayya (1976), “The Land Questions”, All India Kisan Sabha.
- There are currently no refbacks.